OIT Standards and Architecture
- This Task has been designed for use by all roles. For all roles
Standards & Architecture
The OIT has two governing bodies that fulfill the architecture review board function.
Standards and Architecture is the governing body that oversees how enterprise and/or mission-critical technologies, processes, preferred configurations, and standards are defined and used within projects. Design Review Board is where the technical implementation is vetted.
Benefits of an architecture review board include:
- Effective utilization of existing services
- Increased consistency and efficiency
- Improved security
- Greater stability and predictability in the operating environments
- Increased collaboration across the campus
- Improved delivery and risk management
- Published standards will facilitate better understanding of OIT supported technologies
- Evaluation and adoption of technologies outside the existing portfolio
- Document, develop, and promulgate IT Service standards (seeking subject matter expertise as required).
- The Standards and Architecture (S&A) team reviews proposed projects for initial fit to University standards and architecture.
The S&A team makes recommendations to the project or identify the project as not a fit to the University’s standards. In addition,
the team may recommend alternate solutions or pre-existing services that may fit the needs identified by the project.
- The S&A team reviews the initial project planning details and design once active for fit to standards requirements.
- The S&A team reviews the S&A checklist for all projects at planning and closure
- Standards and Architecture provides a template/checklist for vendor or product evaluation (RFP) and participates in the evaluation.
- The Design Review Board (DRB) consults on technical implementation details and approves the final design.
- The DRB reviews the S&A checklist for all projects at the design phase.
- Reviews completed project closure documentation to ensure compliance was maintained.
Cycle of Reviews
- The Standards and Architecture and Design Review Board teams meet on a weekly basis.
- S&A reviews documents (Charter, S&A checklist) offline prior to each meeting. For this reason, we ask that we receive any documentation 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Latest release -
No Release Notes.